Friday 19 March 2010

Ghostsigns archive: now live!


Yesterday evening was the Ghostsigns Archive launch event. As well as offering a preview of the archive, it was an opportunity to meet its founder Sam Roberts; catch up with fellow bloggers including Jane's London, Tom of Tired of London, Sebastien of Painted signs & mosaics and Yelphy of Faded London; and get a set of the lovely postcards designed by Sam and Jane.

However, today's the really big day: the archive is now live. You can search through the wealth of images, or enjoy a leisurely browse - but above all, appreciate the way that these signs are now permanently recorded for us to appreciate and explore. I know how I'll be spending my spare time for the next little while...

4 comments:

Sam Roberts said...

Great to meet you yesterday Caroline and thank you for all the support you've given across the project. Enjoy the archive, I'm going to take a rest for a weekend!

Adam said...

Interesting, and this must have been a true labour of love. However, wouldn't it be better to add a Google Maps feature where people can then find (and add) ghost signs near them? Perhaps this isn't the objective at all though.

CarolineLD said...

The archive can be searched by postcode - not quite a map, but the next best thing!

I don't know much about the issues/technicalities around mapping - Sam could no doubt explain - but the signs are mapped on this iPhone app (which I haven't tried as I don't have an iPhone).

Sam Roberts said...

Yes, moving over to a google mapping system has always been my vision for the project. I see a spinning globe with signs popping up as you roll over locations. What's required is more precise postcode information or a way of pulling the geotagging data from Flickr. You can see some experiments I've done on these posts from the blog.