A distinctive Charles Holden-designed Underground station, Chiswick Park has actually been around since 1879 when it was known as Acton Green. However, the coming of the Piccadilly Line necessitated its rebuilding in the 1930s. Not that the Piccadilly actually stops here - but it does pass through at speed, so new lines had to be constructed.
With the general manager of the Underground, Frank Pick, Holden had toured Germany, the Netherlands and Scandinavia in 1930; this European influence was apparent in the stations of the following decade. Simple forms in brick, concrete and glass characterised his Piccadilly Line stations. The curving lines and landmark tower of the station are familiar features; a circular concourse was used by him to great effect below ground at Piccadilly Circus, but this is a lovely example of its above-ground counterparts. Like Piccadilly Circus, it incorporates not only Tube functions but also retail spaces.
There is plenty to please the eye at platform level, too. The elegant concrete forms bear their security-camera accretions with quiet dignity, and a glass-walled shelter continues to offer limited respite from the weather.